In one of my quilt guilds, the president has challenged us to complete unfinished projects this year. She asked us to submit a list of projects. Then, as we finish projects, we bring them for show and tell at the monthly meeting. She has a point system with prizes at the end of the year. I’m not looking for prizes but I consider this a good way to make progress on projects I’d like to see completed!
So far I have started and completed a new purse for myself–not an unfinished project from the list, but a satisfying accomplishment. I used ByAnnie’s Soft and Stable to give it body and stability. I also upcycled some parts from old purses. I’m pleased with the results.
This morning I started another new project. This is a year-long project called Splendid Sampler. Over 80 quilt designers have compiled 100 six inch blocks that will be released one at a time twice a week. This sounds like something I can keep up with. The first block is a heart, perfect for Valentine’s Day.At least I am on track for today!
As for the unfinished projects? Maybe later….
This morning we walked toward the mist. It looked like we would enter the mist but it was elusive. The quiet was broken only by cicadas and our occasional words. It was a lovely, cool start to a very warm day. As we walked I remembered this little quilt I made in a workshop with Lauren Kingsland. She showed us how to draw the design and couch it with a single piece of yarn. Yes, it is one continuous line. The button in the center is from my great-aunt’s collection. I quilted it with my serger using an overlock stitch. I call it “Healing Meditation”.
I finally finished the quilt and pillow sham for my aunt. I had rearranged some of the blocks in a top I found in my grandmother’s stash. A friend, Dawn Cynamon, did a great job quilting it on her longarm. I applied the binding completely by machine. Now it’s delivered and fits her bed just the way she wanted. Aunt Dot is very happy!
You might notice an interesting treatment on the corner at the foot of the bed. That corner fell to the floor and then some, creating a trip hazard. We folded the corner up and pinned it with a no longer used breast pin from her collection. She thinks it makes a nice finishing touch. So do I!
Gil, my sweet husband, and I have been working on a video to show how I made those great mitered corners on the baby quilt a few posts ago. It’s titled “Mitered Borders Made Easy With School Glue”. He learned how to use his camera to make the videos. I learned how to use “Movie Maker” to edit the videos and add narration.
Tonight I published it to YouTube! Take a look and tell me what you think!
I also changed the name on my blog address so everything matches up. Makes it feel a bit more orderly. It may have messed up links but I suppose it can all be repaired. By the way, I have invited Order into my life this year. I hope she visits regularly!
Ethel, that’s my mother’s mother’s name. I am privileged to have my grandmother’s well-loved treadle sewing machine. Her serial number was issued in 1910 so she’s over 100 years old. I used to sew on her when I was in high school, about 50 years ago! She’s a Singer 66 back-clamper with “red eye” decals. Recently I bought an adapter so I could use side clamp feet as well.
I decided to use Ethel in making the quilt in my last post. She stitched a beautiful, even stitch. There’s a quiet rhythm to using a treadle sewing machine that’s very relaxing. There’s also the connection to my grandmother and my mother who both used this machine, and probably my aunts as well. It was a pleasant experience that I will probably repeat.
Of course, I will not neglect my modern computerized machines! I enjoy sewing on all of them.
Along with collecting vintage sewing machines I like to actually use them. Recently, with encouragement from the online Quiltalong group, I made a quilt top using my grandmother’s treadle machine. This is the quilt that I showed a corner of in my last post.
It’s an easy piece made with 6 1/2″ squares. As I stitched I learned how to control the direction and speed of the treadle. (If it goes the wrong direction the thread breaks.) What a relaxing process! The quilt center had to wait a few weeks until I stumbled across this great striped fabric for the borders. Next step is to find a backing and quilt the layers together.
I’m pleased how the mitered corners turned out on this baby quilt. I’ll use this for a sample of the technique I will demonstrate at the guild meeting in February. Fast and easy!