Snail Quilt

Standard
Snail Quilt

There are several babies on the way in our family, so I’ve started making some baby quilts. I tried several new techniques on this one. I pieced the triangles on the serger instead of the sewing machine. It went together quickly and should add to the durability of the quilt. Then I quilted using special rulers and a ruler foot, with two different sewing machines. There’s quite a learning curve to using the rulers!

cropped

When it came time to bind the quilt, I could not find the binding I had originally cut. So I found coordinating solid fabrics and tried the faux piping method of binding. I think it looks much better than what I had planned!

A New Way to Quilt

Standard
A New Way to Quilt

My newest sewing machine has an embroidery function that can be used for quilting. I’ve done some experimenting with that feature. Today I practiced on a quilt for Hospice Caring, to give to one of the campers at bereavement camp later this year. The top was made and layered with batting and backing and was ready to quilt. I made some calculations, found a design that was close to the right size, and adjusted it to fit. Getting the quilt hooped correctly took some time, and I had to do it 20 times! Not sure I got any better at it! The stitching was pretty easy–just watch and listen for problems, like running out of thread. It was fun and it’s done. The pattern shows up best on the back.

img_2473.jpgimg_2470.jpgimg_2473.jpg

Scraps

Standard
Scraps

Today I started preparing for a demo I’ll be presenting at our quilt show in August. I’ll be using skinny strips of fabric, the size that usually go into the trash, and recycle them into cute little bags, like these.

Skinny strip bags


Now I have plenty of scraps that don’t fit in the category of “skinny strips” so I started playing with those as well. I used chunky scraps to make this one. While I was making it my thought was to cut it up for projects or quilt blocks. I really like it as is so it may become a wall hanging.

Crazy fat quarter


Then I used strips from a bag of scraps I purchased (uh, yeah, I didn’t have any of that line in my stash) a few years ago, to make this one. I like how it turned out, not sure how to use it yet.

Strippy fat quarter.


Playing with scraps has been a great way to spend the end of my vacation!

Mending

Standard

When my girls were young the mending pile only seemed to grow, never get smaller. When I did get around to tackling it, I’d find they had already outgrown some items so I really didn’t have to mend those!

Now when I get ready to quilt or sew, I find a few items have accumulated by the sewing machine, waiting for repairs. I’ve changed my attitude. I consider this mending to be a warmup exercise. It may involve simple repairs that can be quickly accomplished like sewing on a button. Or it may require more creativity like finding the right color fabric to patch a hole. Either way, I am accomplishing something and getting reacquainted with my sewing space. (Note–this is not an invitation for you to drop off your mending pile!)

Today’s stash included a couple pairs of spring slacks to hem for my aunt. As I pulled the hems out I remembered that we used to save that thread so we’d have a perfect color match for the new stitching. I don’t have to do that because I’m fortunate to have a large collection of thread to work with. This is only one small selection!

 

Now that repairs are done I think I’ll stay and quilt a while.

Fans of the Past

Standard

The center block, a found block from an unknown quilter, was provided as part of a challenge. The fan blocks came from my Grandmother’s leftovers. She was well known for her prolific quiltmaking. I felt a satisfying connection to my Grandmother and other quilters from the past as I constructed this quilt from vintage fabrics and trims.

fans-of-the-past

One more block done

Standard

IMG_4465What I thought would be easy enough–making one block a day in the Splendid Sampler sew-along–lasted one day. Until today! This pattern called for an embroidered motif in the center. I had a piece of tatted lace that my sister-in-love Marie had made some time ago. Unfortunately it had gotten stained and set aside, waiting to be useful. It was the perfect size and shape for this block! I used sharpie markers and alcohol to dye it. I like the result!